There are lots of things happening with DU athletics. Here are some things you may have missed:
- The DU Ski team is on a mission this winter. They are seeking redemption from last season’s heartbreaking final day when the championship slipped away. They won the Rocky Mountain Intercollegiate Ski Association (RMISA) Championship this past weekend – surprisingly, the first time in 11 seasons. LetsGoDU will be live in Steamboat in two weeks to follow the Pioneers when they go for their 24th national championship.
- Denver men’s basketball secured the #3 seed for the Summit League Tournament. This is the Pioneers highest seed since joining the Summit League. They take on a tall Oral Roberts squad in their first game and then, likely, South Dakota in the semifinals.
- Remember DU’s forgettable jelly donut logo (1999-2006)?
The firm that that developed the awful red-tailed hawk logo, Adrenalin, is at it again. They have now launched a redesign of the UNLV logo, ‘Hey Reb!’ and the new design has been met by nearly universal disapproval. One UNLV fan claims that the new logo looks like a pile of laundry. However, it looks like a red tailed cowboy to us.
- LetsGoDU will again be reporting live from St. Paul for this year’s NCHC Frozen Faceoff March 16th-17th. Nick Tremaroli will be grabbing free food in the press box and reporting live from the tournament.
- In case you missed it, Puck Swami wrote about DU’s five Olympians. Troy Terry made a herculean effort to return for the St Cloud State game following USA hockey’s Olympic loss. Terry performed well on the world stage and promoted US hockey, Colorado and DU while in Pyeongchang. But the biggest winner was DU Pioneer Leif Haugen who took home a bronze medal for his native Norway.
- #12 Women’s gymnastics continues to perform at a high-level despite a number of injuries this season. DU had a surprise tie with #6 Michigan this past week – each with 196.575 points.
- Denver continues to offer the wildly successful tire roll again this season at lacrosse games. At halftime, following the Denver Dancers and the Shake-Your-Jelly dance contest, the tire roll was featured at Peter Barton Stadium. A spectator, Patrick, missed his first roll but delivered on his second roll to win a $100 tire coupon. The event was perhaps the highlight of the afternoon as DU lacrosse thoroughly dominated the Vikings.
- In hockey, as we near the NCHC Tournament, Denver may not have seen the last of the Colorado College Tigers. Denver currently sits as the #2 seed and the Tigers sit in the #7th seed heading into the final weekend of regular season play. The rivalry between the two teams is heating up. And, a confluence of events collided in the historic photo below when a now-famous dancer, Stormy Daniels, donned a “CC Sucks” T-shirt for a LetsGoDU event in Houston 11 years ago. From all accounts, she knows what she talks about…
- On a more wholesome note, LetsGoDU is requesting all readers to buy their Easter flowers at Bonnie Brae flowers on Evans Avenue. We love their style!